Tuesday 24 August 2010

My skin on trial



I feel a bit all over the place at the moment. Work is a bit stressful and I'm sure that it is taking its toll on my skin.  My skin is very far from perfect and I'm sure that stress and hormones are wreaking havoc at the moment, which is in turn getting me down.  So I've decided to make a commitment to my skin.

When it comes to new products, I'm not the kind of girl who is set in her ways, knows what she likes and what works for her.  The kind of girl that doesn't like change..  No, I like to mix it up,  road test new products in my hunt for the ever elusive "Holy Grail" product that will make me realise what I've been searching for all the long.  The kind of product has the archangel choirs singing Hallelujah! Dramatic analogy? Of course, but that is the kind of semi religious experience I am searching for.  And that search usually revolves around my skin. If I don't see the kind of results I am expecting to see, then I get bored. And to quote Jay-Z, "its onto the next one". I need to point out that its only products that I have this flighty attitude with.  I'm generally the person who sticks with it through thick and thin, in all areas of my life, except with skincare!

This may come as a shock to some, but I would quite happily never wear a scrap of make up ever again, if I could ensure that my skin was perfect and flawless for the rest of my life.  I am in no way afflicted with any debilitating skin condition.  I just want my skin to be better.  Sure, I get bad skin at the time of the month, who doesn't? I surely cannot be alone in the desire for perfect skin.  What I'm actually beginning to realise, that my skins sensitivity and reactivity my be all my own doing.  The years of carefree abandon, when I have switched about face washes, scrubs and serums could have potentially been the problem all the long!

So now, a month into my 30th year on this beautiful planet, I have decided to simplify my routine and product use in relation to my skin.  And this brings me onto the No7. Radiance Boosting Hot Cloth Cleanser. I have had this for a little while and it has been languishing at the back of my stash.  Nic actually asked me on Saturday (for about the 4th time) had I started using it yet. To which, of course, the answer was no.  I bought this as a comparison to Liz Earle's iconic Cleanse and Polish (C&P), which I used a number of years ago.  I can't say that I didn't like it, because that would be telling a lie. There are many things I like about C&P.  But it certainly didn't wow me as I had desperately wanted it to. I love the concept, so it was with quiet optimism that I threw the No7 cleanser into the basket.

I have decided that every night without fail I will use this cleanser, until it runs out, or I have some kind of horrible reaction to it.  Its likely to run out first, its been tested and is, according to the packaging hypo-allergenic. I need to prove to myself that: I can finish this cleanser. That I can give it a total road test to see how it works out for my skin and if I, and my changeability in the use of products, are the root cause of my skincare issues. I think kids, its time for a back to basics routine.



Tonight, I have begun the regime and cracked open the No7. Radiance Boosting Hot Cloth Cleanser. The first thing I noticed was the smell.  Its a very different scent to the C&P, its more floral and less herbal.  And although I'm not generally a floral kind of person, I quite like it.  The cleanser was very creamy and luxurious, again very similar to the C&P.  However, the big plus for me was the muslin cloth that came with the product. I seemed to really slough off the dead skin and I was left with a very smooth surface. This maybe due to the fact that the cloth is new new and it will soften over time, but I hope not!   When I exfoliate, I like scrubby scrubs such as the No7 Microdermabrasion which my skin responds well to.  The Liz Earle muslin cloths always seemed a little fluffy for my liking and nor really akin to an effective exfoliation.  So I am glad to report that the No7 cloth is different. This just suits me and my skin, it may not suit everyone.  On the whole I like it.  I will keep you posted on "skingate" and my thoughts on the cleanser in general.

Wish me luck!!

2 comments:

  1. Cracking post and although I laughed at parts I am right with you, everyone would probably love that dewy fresh no need for make up skin but I think its probably more genetic than anything to do with finding the perfect product, sadly! That said why let good sense and reason stand in the way of a new product purchase - I never have! and who knows this might just be "the" one, looking forward to updates!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you Debbie. I'm at the end of my tether, but I'd like to know if it is really all my own doing!! I will surely keep you posted on the situation. x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...